Find party invitations for any occasion at eInvite.com. Personalize, preview, and order your invitation instantly.

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Thing 82: The Einstein Planetarium

Einstein Planetarium

Today I played tourist by hitting up the National Air and Space Museum on my lunch break and seeing galaxies collide at the Einstein Planetarium.

When was the last time you've been to a planetarium? For me, I haven't been since I was about eight years old at the Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park. I recommend going back to the planetarium than it took me -- the show I saw today was great!

First of all, it's narrated by Robert Redford, who, it turns out, is not only easy on the eyes, but easy on the ears! Second of all, I learned a lot. The show I saw, "Cosmic Collisions," explained how collisions in the universe were responsible for such things as our moon, the Northern Lights, the extinction of the dinosaurs, and billions of years from now the joining of the Milky Way with the Andromeda Galaxy. All brought to you in swirling 3D, with meteorites orbiting above your head and stars twinkling brightly in the night sky.

Tickets for adults cost $8.50, though the museum's admission is, of course, free. Apparently, if you go in the middle of the day the week before Thanksgiving, you don't even have to wait in line! But I can't vouch for more crowded times of the day. I have seen the line stretch far, far back.

Just relax, recline, allow the darkness to envelope you and listen to Robert Redford's narration. Going to the moon and back on your lunch hour is so much more satisfying than another PBJ at your desk.

4 comments:

Sam said...

And your boss at work didn't care that you went to a 1:30p showing?! or is just a huuuge fan of planetaria?

dc365 said...

Shhhhh....

Anonymous said...

see other shows for $5. Keep your ticket stub and you can see any other imax show for $5 within 7 days of original ticket purchase at air and space museum or at natural history. lions 3d is awesome

dc365 said...

WOW that is a good tip! Thanks, Anonymous.